What is really important on the way to autonomous driving?
Discussions regarding autonomous driving are currently very much focused on the new mobile generation 5G, which should serve as a building block for an autonomous future. According to Prof. Dr. Andreas Herrmann, however, such discussions are misleading since more fundamental issues for the future of autonomous driving must first be resolved.
There are currently various discussions about whether the new mobile generation 5G has positive or negative influences on industry, medicine and health. The development is certainly necessary for autonomous driving, as it allows self-driving cars to communicate with traffic lights, traffic signs, parking garages, etc. However, there are far more important aspects that are fundamental to a future of autonomous driving and that should be resolved before continuing the 5G discussion. Prof. Dr. Andreas Herrmann summarizes this in an article on Focus Online:
- An explanation of the diesel scandal. Companies should also use this as an opportunity for cultural, organization and technological change.
- Promotion of technological start-ups and easy access to technology. This is important in order for Germany not to miss the connection to many key technologies.
- IT companies as the new center – traditional vehicle production follows this. The classic automotive industry should acknowledge this change and adapt its way of working accordingly.
- Integration of public and private modes of transportation. This allows autonomous electric vehicles to be integrated into a complete traffic concept.
- Definition of test fields where automakers, suppliers and technology companies can test their autonomous vehicles. Good examples of this already exist in China, South Korea and Singapore.
Only if these steps are agreed upon, can a plan for the expansion of 5G be created.
You can read the full article on Focus Online here.